Resolution Disillusion

New Year’s Resolutions make me stabby. There’s just so much PRESSURE. We make these big proclamations, resolving to quit smoking, lose weight, be a nicer person, etc. Then by mid-February we’re back to our old tricks and habits, feeling like giant losers for not sticking to our resolutions.

This is exactly why I don’t make resolutions. Instead I think about things I MAY want to try to do better, IF I feel like it. This year those are as follows:

1. Blog more often. Apparently the folks at my work think that I should actually work instead of write blog posts. I know! WTF? But it should be slowing down here soon, so I might be able to achieve this one.

2. Exercise more. My youngest asked for a mini-trampoline for Christmas, so I bought him an Urban Rebounder. I figured he’d like it for a couple of days and then I’d get to use it for myself. And I’ve been doing just that! It’s quite a workout, and I’m really liking it. So much that I bought all the different workouts they have on DVD. There’s like 14 of them. I figure if I have a lot of variety I’ll be more apt to stick with it.

3. Drink less Starbucks. So far, this isn’t going well, since I already got a mocha this morning. But hey, it was the first day back at work, and I slept like crap last night. I needed some energy. Plus it was 4 degrees this morning and I was cold. And yes, I could have gotten some FREE, low-cal coffee here at work and gotten the same buzz. But nothing replaces that mocha-y goodness…

Ones that didn’t make the cut:

1. Work harder. Seriously people, do you know me at all?

2. Go on a diet. Isn’t it enough that I’m exercising? I can’t take the pressure of a diet.

3. Watch less TV. Ummmm, no.

4. Spend less time reading other people’s blogs. Again, no. You people keep me going. It comforts me to know that others are just as insane as me.

5. Curse less. No fucking way.

So how about you? Do you make resolutions? If so, what are they?

Happy New Year!!

17 Comments

1. Posted January 4, 2010 at 5:04 pm | Permalink

Like you, I refuse to make New Year’s Resolutions, as that’s the quickest way to make me to the opposite. However, my husband and I *have* made an active decision to be giant cliches and work on being healthier, in the hopes of loosing weight. We’ll see how that works out.

• justmeandthevoices
      Posted January 4, 2010 at 5:18 pm | Permalink

Yeah, it’s one of those “wait and see how it goes” type of situations. Maybe I’ll do it and maybe I won’t. GOOD LUCK!

2. Posted January 4, 2010 at 5:18 pm | Permalink

I made a resolution not to make resolutions. You tell me how that one works out. ;)

Good luck with all that exercising and blog writing/reading.

• justmeandthevoices
      Posted January 4, 2010 at 5:36 pm | Permalink

Exactly!! This way I don’t have the pressure of an ACTUAL resolution.

3. Posted January 4, 2010 at 5:19 pm | Permalink

I feel like I’m constantly making resolutions – as in, I’m going to lose 20lbs, starting right … now. I did take the stairs twice today!

This year I decided to be more “in the moment” especially with my child, but also with my husband and friends (and some of my family – ha!). It’s only polite to give people my complete and undivided attention.

We’ll see how long I last!

• justmeandthevoices
      Posted January 4, 2010 at 5:28 pm | Permalink

OMG, I was totally going to use the whole “in the moment” thing too, but I forgot!!

4. Posted January 4, 2010 at 8:05 pm | Permalink

Mine is to exercise more. I’m on day 3 of consecutive exercise, so hooray!

• justmeandthevoices
      Posted January 5, 2010 at 10:37 am | Permalink

That is AWESOME, Stimey!!! I have been doing pretty well with the exercise too. Let’s keep it up!

5. Posted January 6, 2010 at 3:10 pm | Permalink

There are some resolutions that are bound to fail. Especially those that involve numbers. I hate numbers. Math is hard.

• justmeandthevoices
      Posted January 6, 2010 at 4:15 pm | Permalink

Especially when those numbers are on the SCALE. That’s when math gets really hard!!

6. Posted January 7, 2010 at 6:28 am | Permalink

I don’t do resolutions either. Enough people in this world disappoint me – why would I want to disappoint myself? And frankly – I have days where just making it through feels like a massive accomplishment so I almost made a resolution just to survive my life but then that seemed too dramatic and I realized I had to adjust my meds immediately. PS My only actual resolution is one I stole from my dear friend Modern Matriarch and that is to not curse less, but to curse more creatively. Hence I coined the phrase douche weasel.

• justmeandthevoices
      Posted January 7, 2010 at 3:08 pm | Permalink

OMG I love your resolution, and the new phrase! I was using douchecanoe (pilfered from The Bloggess I think), but I’m thinking I’m gonna have to give douche weasel a try!

7. Posted January 8, 2010 at 9:13 am | Permalink

#5 made me laugh! I am always resolving to do something – so I don’t put too much new year’s pressure on myself.

• justmeandthevoices
      Posted January 8, 2010 at 9:44 am | Permalink

That’s a good way to do it, spread it out through the year!!

8. Nature Boy
    Posted January 8, 2010 at 2:29 pm | Permalink

There is nothing wrong with making a resolution to curse less, despite popular cultures impression that it makes you cool or funny.

There is enough negative energy in the world without adding more.

Yes…I had to get my two cents worth in. :)

• justmeandthevoices
      Posted January 8, 2010 at 5:38 pm | Permalink

Dearest Hubby,

I’m sorry that you’re cursed (HA!) to have a wife with a potty mouth! But I like Rougeneck’s suggestion of not cursing less, but cursing more creatively! You’re a creative guy. Maybe you can help me out with that. ;-)

9. Posted April 9, 2013 at 10:40 pm | Permalink

Ultima scarpe Hogan in [url=http://hogansitoufficialeoutlete.webs.com/]hogan sito ufficiale[/url] break,Hogan sito ufficiale [url=http://hoganoutletsitoufficiale.webs.com/]hogan outlet[/url],Hogan interactive.Ultima collezione,Il massimo della qualit??,Spedizione gratuita,Fino al 70% di sconto.sconto Hogan Ballerine Donna,Hogan sito ufficiale,Scarpe Hogan vendita in hogan [url=http://hoganinteractivedonnauomo.webs.com/]hogan interactive[/url]redress.nuovo Hogan Hi-Sprint Uomo [url=http://hoganprogettorebel.webs.com/]hogan progetto[/url],Hogan Relief,Hogan scarpe in vendita [url=http://hogansitoufficialee.webs.com/]hogan sito ufficiale[/url]in Hogan sito ufficiale.Scarpe Hogan Interactive Donna,Hogan Depend on,Scarpe Hogan [url=http://hoganoutletsitoufficialee.webs.com/]hogan outlet[/url] in vendita in Hogan sito ufficiale.